Autor Tema: [[**Entry**]] "ZERO and the Castle of Infinite Sadness" (Dioniso)  (Leído 25464 veces)

Dioniso

• Visitante
[[**Entry**]] "ZERO and the Castle of Infinite Sadness" (Dioniso)
« en: 02 de Octubre de 2013, 09:59:41 pm »
Name of the project: ZERO and the Castle of Infinite Sadness
Game size: 32k ROM
RAM size requirement: 16K RAM
Game genre: Action
Name of the group: Dioniso

[2014-06-22] NEW ROM. Thanks to nenefranz a bug has been found: the game starts in the menu instead of showing the logo and PRESS SPACE screen. I forgot to change that in the final ROM.

[2014-06-22] A small update: ROM. Just a small synchro issue with the ZERO logo in the menu on MSX2+ and Turbo-r.

My PC don't work anymore; tools, old code/docs, passwords/tools of my website (that's why I had to upload the ROM to uploaded.to), etc, etc, etc. I will recover the harddisks but it will take some time. On a laptop and with NoWind I could at least fix that little problem.

Some notes on the game which I didn't mention before but they could be important:

-Entering passwords: if you have a password for NORMAL difficulty, you have to choose NORMAL in MODUS and then enter the password. You will start at level 1 if you introduced that password in EASY or HARD MODUS. This is done on purpose.
-If you clean 5 levels, you'll get a password and all your 3 lifes again. This is done on purpose.
-If you lose a life, you will start that level from the beginning. This is done on purpose. Stop crying and work hard on it  :griel:
-The game is meant to be played at 60HZ (press "6" when booting on a PAL MSX2 model or superior). Recommended model: any Japanese MSX1 computer (THIS IS A MSX1 GAME COMPETITION; any other model is an extra although compulsory in the rules).  :magicalstones:
-I think the levels from 15 onwards are the best/most beautiful ones. Later on, some new tiles are used.

Tools used (thank you very much, guys):
-tniASM 0.45 (Patrick Lesparre)
-PCX2SPR (Eduardo Robsy)
-Routine to create sine curves with asMSX (Eduardo Robsy) *<also used in SP8 INVADERS and KRAKONIA.>
-EditPlus (Sangil Kim)
-MS PAINT (all the graphics were created with this tool)
-BMP2MSX (HRA)
-TILED (Thorbjørn Lindeijer)
-Darkbasic Pro (The Game Creators) *<I use it to convert TILED screens to compressed levels and BMP2MSX data to compressed tilesets.>
-Bitbuster (Bombaman Team)
-Slots/RAM/48k ROM routines/theory (Armando) *<I still couldn't use it but I will to improve ZERO a little bit.>
-BlueMSX (Daniel Vik)
-NoWind Interface (Jan Wilmans and Aaldert Dekker)
-MegaFlashROM SCC+ SD (Manuel Pazos)

I hope some of you have fun with my game  ::qbiqsbeam::

[2014-06-14] Download the game: here.

Summary: Clean every room of the castle from evil forces, starting from the the top and going down to the base.

-More info will be added-

[2013-11-23] An upload of the video directly recorded on OpenMSX. Better a "save as ...". The quality is much better but still no soft scroll in the video, only on your MSX.

[2013-11-22] A little test on video with the logo. I don't know why on a real computer I get a soft scroll and on this video after emus and video codecs I get a really bad/jumping scroll ... There's a problem here with emulated framerate.

Screenshot: Just a W.I.P. menu screenshot created these days (Ugliest "R" ever). I prefer not showing in-game screenshots for the moment.

-More screenshots will be added-

Art/Related material: 3 drawings a good friend of mine did 6 years ago ...

You can see the author himself in this video, with sun glasses and as Freddy :)
« Última modificación: 23 de Junio de 2014, 05:13:02 am por Jon_Cortazar »

pitpan

• Karoshi Forum's Guru
Re:[[**Entry**]] "ZERO and the Castle of Infinite Sadness" (Dioniso)
« Respuesta #1 en: 03 de Octubre de 2013, 09:40:00 am »
What a good thing to see again, a Dioniso's project in the MSXdev again! Moreover with those nice artworks!

[Edit: English!!]
« Última modificación: 03 de Octubre de 2013, 04:50:07 pm por Jon_Cortazar »

theNestruo

• Karoshi Lover
    • Email
« Respuesta #2 en: 03 de Octubre de 2013, 07:23:28 pm »
Cool!
Is it somehow related to the Smashing Pumpkins' album "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness"?
Even the first artwork reminds me some details (winged hourglasses) of the inlay :D
theNestruo."Old BASIC programmers never die; they GOSUB but never RETURN."

mars2000you

• Karoshi Hero
    • MSX blue
    • Email
« Respuesta #3 en: 03 de Octubre de 2013, 08:05:11 pm »
Announced on MSXBLUE-DEV :

http://msxdev.msxblue.com/?p=2315
Benoît
blueMSX co-developer and MSX blue webmaster
blueMSX - MSX blue - MSX Eggerland

pitpan

• Karoshi Forum's Guru
« Respuesta #4 en: 03 de Octubre de 2013, 11:36:53 pm »
Sorry about my post in Spanish before. I usually pay attention to this basic rule, but I got so excited with Dioniso's new entry that I totally forgot: I got carried away!

Dioniso

• Visitante
« Respuesta #5 en: 23 de Noviembre de 2013, 04:19:44 pm »
22nd and 23rd November. A little update of some "PRESS SPACE" test.

mars2000you

• Karoshi Hero
    • MSX blue
    • Email
« Respuesta #6 en: 23 de Noviembre de 2013, 05:03:18 pm »
Your AVI file seems to be broken :

- only 202 Ko when the MP4 video from YouTube is 899 Ko
- only a green screen on VLC
- not accepted by Windows Media Player (but maybe the specific AVI format of openMSX is not supported by this Windows tool)
Benoît

Dioniso

• Visitante
« Respuesta #7 en: 23 de Noviembre de 2013, 05:23:07 pm »
Only 202k is right. Use Windows Media Player, for instance. It also works on tablets with Android. I tried first with BlueMSX but I couldn´t get a proper video just a almost 2GB AVI without compression. Anyways, if you want to discuss this write a private message to me.

mars2000you

• Karoshi Hero
    • MSX blue
    • Email
« Respuesta #8 en: 24 de Noviembre de 2013, 05:20:06 am »
Ok, now it works. The problem was also with AVI's created by Fixato with openMSX.

Actually, I'm using now a new PC with Windows 8. After installing updated codecs, it's OK in the Windows Media Player.

For VLC, I've found a very useful tool that converts the openMSX-AVI format into a standard AVI format : Free AVI Video Converter.
No more green screen with the converted file (896 Ko instead of the 202 Ko, so almost the same size as for the MP4 file).
« Última modificación: 24 de Noviembre de 2013, 05:23:18 am por mars2000you »
Benoît

Dioniso

• Visitante
« Respuesta #9 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 01:31:15 pm »
Hi. Not having much time for coding and trying to finish the game ... I just wanted to say the game will write directly to the $98 and $99 ports and will use the mix mode, which, taking into account the rules of the MSXDev'14, should be accepted ("VDP: TMS9918/TMS9928 or compatible video processor"). Although it also states that "If a game does not run properly in all MSX computers with at least 16 KB RAM it could be disqualified by the organization."

Well, I don't want to start the same discussion again. I'm just saying how my game would be and that I hope to finish it before the 16th of June  ::phone::

To the iron!!!  ::qbiqsbeam::

ARTRAG

• Visitante
« Respuesta #10 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 02:26:37 pm »
Awesome !!! Mixed mode allows plenty of possibilities and we will use mix mode too ;)

MsxKun

• Karoshi Forum's Guru
  • Kimochi-ii
    • Paxanga Soft
    • Email
« Respuesta #11 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 02:47:08 pm »
Hi. Not having much time for coding and trying to finish the game ... I just wanted to say the game will write directly to the $98 and $99 ports and will use the mix mode, which, taking into account the rules of the MSXDev'14, should be accepted ("VDP: TMS9918/TMS9928 or compatible video processor"). Although it also states that "If a game does not run properly in all MSX computers with at least 16 KB RAM it could be disqualified by the organization."

Well, I don't want to start the same discussion again. I'm just saying how my game would be and that I hope to finish it before the 16th of June  ::phone::

To the iron!!!  ::qbiqsbeam::

But then why don't use Screen 4? Is that simple.  :-\
Yeh, then can't fit the dev, but nobody is gonna put an X to you if you make a game outside the dev.
--

:cindylauper: She Bops!

MsxKun

• Karoshi Forum's Guru
  • Kimochi-ii
    • Paxanga Soft
    • Email
« Respuesta #12 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 02:54:45 pm »
Awesome !!! Mixed mode allows plenty of possibilities and we will use mix mode too ;)

Yeh, but then, also does Screen 4. It seems like you both gonna love Screen 4. So my point it, and why not? It's a nice screen mode! Why don't take profit of it?
--

MsxKun

• Karoshi Forum's Guru
  • Kimochi-ii
    • Paxanga Soft
    • Email
« Respuesta #13 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 03:05:33 pm »
You can see the author himself in this video, with sun glasses and as Freddy :)

Hell, I just noticed this.  :o
--

ARTRAG

• Visitante
« Respuesta #14 en: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 06:27:50 pm »

Yeh, but then, also does Screen 4. It seems like you both gonna love Screen 4. So my point it, and why not? It's a nice screen mode! Why don't take profit of it?

That will be for the msx 2 version :)
« Última modificación: 25 de Mayo de 2014, 06:30:06 pm por AR »